While there were 3 different Sailor Moon events this weekend at New York Comic Con, the one that really got our attention was the Official Sailor Moon Panel.
The panel was more of a presentation from Char the VIZ media’s marketing director who did a wonderful job of expressing her excitement in the company’s acquisition and current distribution deals in regards to the Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal properties. And this was extremely helpful as I have been extremely confused in this regard since Japan has announced the release of their Blu-Ray sets which are completely different from the sets being distributed here in the US. So for clarity, this is what we learned:
On the Sailor Moon Box Set
- Each season is being split into two sections, two boxes.
- Part 1 of each season comes with a limited edition coin.
- Part 1 of each season is made with a slot where you can easily slide in Part 2 of that season.
- There are no current plans for one “ultimate edition” type box set. As far as we know, this may be it. However, this does not rule out the potential of an all inclusive set in the future (though I would just buy this set if I had the money).
- Season One Part One will be released on November 11th.
- Season One Part Two release date: February 10, 2015.
- Later seasons (with fewer episodes) will have more extras to make up for lack of content.
- Sets will not include movies, but release of those films are in the works.
- Voice over filming for the English dub takes all the way until just before each episode airs.
- Japan team has a say in everything from the English dub casting, to the music that is being used for the new Blu-ray sets.
On the Sailor Moon Crystal series
- Plans for a Crystal box set won’t start until after the show finishes airing in Japanese first.
- This version of the series uses the manga as storyboards (essentially).
- Sailor V will make her first appearance on Episode 8.
- You can get more info from their pretty impressive twitter feed @VIZMedia.
I have to say, aside from the Legend of Korra panel on Friday, this was the best panel to experience. It may have been more intimate, but the love and passion felt from both Char (Viz Media Director), and the fans was amazing. Not to mention Char screened quite a few clips in the English dub which were very fun and we had the opportunity to be the firsts to hear Sailor Jupiter. And let me just say, the casting was perfect.
As for the new voice dubs over all, I thought I would have a hard time adjusting as I have a very special place in my heart for the original 90’s version. But after listening to those clips, I don’t think I’ll have any trouble at all.