The 75th Golden Globe Awards nominations were officially announced on Monday’s broadcast of NBC’s Today. As well as awarding excellence in film and television, the annual ceremony also gives animation a chance to be honored with its Best Animated Film award.Of the five nominations for Best Animated Film, two of them are independent ones: Cartoon Saloon’s The Breadwinner and the ambitious oil-painted animated movie Loving Vincent. Nominations for independent animated features are relatively new to the Golden Globes, with the first one nominated being My Life as a Zucchini last year.
The other three nominations were reserved for mainstream animated movies. While Pixar’s Coco is an obvious nominee, Blue Sky’s Ferdinand (opening this Friday) and DreamWorks’ The Boss Baby also got a nomination each. Considering that those two got their spots over animated movies with greater acclaim like The Lego Batman Movie and Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, it appears to be a rather surprising selection.
The Best Original Song category features three of the five nominations coming from animated features. These include Ferdinand‘s “Home” by Nick Jonas, Coco‘s “Remember Me” by Robert and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, and The Star‘s titular Christmas song by Mariah Carey. The two other nominations from live-action movies were Mudbound‘s “Mighty River” and The Greatest Showman’s “This is Me”.
Below is the list of nominees for categories featuring animated films. The full list of nominees can be viewed in this Variety article.
Best Animated Film
- The Boss Baby (DreamWorks Animation)
- The Breadwinner (Cartoon Saloon/Aircraft Pictures/Melusine Productions)
- Coco (Pixar Animation Studios)
- Ferdinand (Blue Sky Studios)
- Loving Vincent (Breakthru Films/Trademark Films)
Best Original Song – Motion Picture
- “Home” (Nick Jonas, Justin Tranter, and Nick Monson) – Ferdinand
- “Mighty River” (Raphael Saadiq, Mary J. Blige, and Taura Stinson) – Mudbound
- “Remember Me” (Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez) – Coco
- “The Star” (Mariah Carey and Marc Shaiman) – The Star
- “This is Me” (Benj Pasek and Justin Paul) – The Greatest Showman
The 75th Golden Globe Awards ceremony, this time being hosted by comedian Seth Meyers, will be presented at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in California and will air on NBC at 5 pm PST/8 pm EST.
Who are you rooting for to win Best Animated Film and Best Original Song?
Edited by: Hannah Wilkes