We’ve only been at NYCC for a few hours and the bombshells have already dropped. After hours of waiting in line we were rewarded with several clips from Big Hero 6, a much longed for teaser trailer for Tomorrowland plus a whole clip that included a small chase.
Big Hero 6
But first here is the fresh clip from Big Hero 6. Proceed with caution as there may be some SPOILERS among these words:
A few more things we learned:
- Idea to do Big Hero 6 first hatched 3 years ago during NYCC.
- Hiro was described as a young genius using his powers for mischief rather than for the greater good.
- Go Go was described as the Clint Eastwood of the group: few sarcastic words.
Tomorrowland was definitely the part of the panel filled with the biggest surprises, mostly because so much of the film has been kept in the dark for so long. Brad Bird himself couldn’t help but joke about what little information they’d be giving us throughout the panel. So to be clear: in the 30 minutes or so that we spent talking about Tomorrowland all we got was the teaser trailer, the extended never-before-seen clip, and…that’s about it. Which to be honest was pretty awesome because everything we saw had NEVER been seen.
Here are also a few more things we learned at the panel:
- The concept for Tomorrowland was hatched when a suitcase full of things Walt Disney had collected had been discovered at the studios in California. Among the items were an old laser disk (at least a really old version of a laser disk), sketches of futuristic technologies, and a music book.
- Takes place in present day (though tech in the teaser and extended clip seem to point to a heightened present day.
- Tomorrowland was conceived after a conversation was had about how silly Pirates of the Caribbean was in the sense that a movie was made about a ride.
Considering much of the film is still under wraps, what we got today in terms of swag and clips is pretty astounding. If anyone was apprehensive about Brad Bird as a live action director, they needn’t fret.
By the way, the teaser poster was also released, which you can check out below.
Disney at NYCC Photos
[UDPATE 4:13 PM PST] Since no cameras or electronic devices were allowed in the panel, we weren’t able to get any pictures of the cast and crew who were in attendance at the Big Hero 6 and Tomorrowland panels.
But Disney released some official photos from New York Comic Con, which you can find below.