Finally, after months of waiting, probably since the American release of The Wind Rises, GKIDS has finally announced both the released date and voice cast for Isao Takahata‘s final film for Studio Ghibli, The Tale of Princess Kaguya.
The film will be released on October 17th, just in time for awards season to begin, and will be voiced by the following:
- The Princess Kaguya – Chloë Grace Moretz
- The Bamboo Cutter – James Caan
- The Bamboo Cutter’s Wife – Mary Steenburgen
- Sutemaru – Darren Criss
- Lady Sagami – Lucy Liu
- Me no Warawa – Hynden Walch
- Inbe no Akita – George Segal
- Prince I****sukuri – James Marsden
- Prince Kuramochi – Beau Bridges
- Lord Minister of the Right Abe – Oliver Platt
- Great Counselor Otomo – Daniel Dae Kim
- Middle Counselor Isonokami – John Cho
- The Mikado – Dean Cain
- Kita no Kata – Emily Bridges
Just in case you don’t remember why you should be ridiculously excited for this film, here is the official synopsis and trailer for the film:
An old man makes a living by selling bamboo. One day, he finds a princess in a bamboo. The princess is only the size of a finger. Her name is Kaguya. When Kaguya grows up, 5 men from prestigious families propose to her. Kaguya asks the men to find memorable marriage gifts for her, but the 5 men are unable to find what Kaguya wants. Then, the Emperor of Japan proposes to her.
This film takes a huge departure from the formerly established Ghibli style of animation which is incredibly beautiful and exciting and is sure to be a Oscar Nom this year.