It’s the one-year anniversary episode of the podcast! Join Chelsea, Morgan and Mason as they take a walk down memory lane as their discuss the Disney Renaissance and its first classic film, The Little Mermaid.
- News: fake Frozen posters, DreamWorks pushes Mr. Peabody and Sherman release date and massive staff cuts, LAIKA’s new feature The Boxtrolls
- Nerdy Couch Discussion: Waking Sleeping Beauty and the Disney Renaissance (1989-1999).
- Morgan gives a brief history on the Disney Renaissance.
- Favorite movies from the era, the better part of the era (1989-1994), the second half of the era (1995-1999).
- Would animation be the same if there wasn’t a Disney Renaissance?
- Main discussion: The Little Mermaid
- Howard Ashman key to its success, first film to use the CAPS system.
- The real Hans Christian Anderson story of The Little Mermaid.
- First thoughts and recollections: VHS, animation masterpiece, The Little Mermaid pool effect,
- The beginning: prologue song, the seahorse, the sisters have the best names, the shipwreck and shark, Scuttle, how many mer-kings are there?, Triton’s trident’s powers.
- Three most iconic moments: the grotto hand reach, singing on the rock, and the hair flip.
- Where does Eric fall on the Disney Prince hotness scale? Is Eric under appreciated?
- “Part of Your World”: love the lyrics, clever singing fish.
- Ariel’s grotto: the Eric statue, Triton’s rage issues, Captain Ahab, Flotsam & Jetsam’s creepy voices.
- Ursula: she’s a cecaelia, best villains of all time, designed after a drag queen, differences between her powers and Triton’s.
- Ariel as a human: Is Eric’s castle the best Disney castle?, are they in France?, working girls conversation, similarities to Tangled and Edward Scissorhands.
- Eric’s flute moment, enter Vanessa, the wedding, Triton polyp.
- The climax: super fast, all the poor mermaid decision makers return back to society, drunk Triton, the Disney chorus, mermaid-human relations, shameless mockery of the French.
- The sequels: TV series, song “Harmony”, The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea, The Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Beginning, The Little Mermaid Broadway musical.
- We rate it!
- Don’t forget the bloopers!
Runtime: 1:49:43, 52.7 MB
- Buy The Little Mermaid: 3-disc Blu-ray | 2-disc Blu-ray | DVD | Digital | iTunes
- Buy The Little Mermaid soundtrack: CD | Digital | iTunes
- The Little Mermaid quotes | DisneyQuotes.com