Morgan and Mason interview Chris Horne, a technical director at Pixar! They talk about Chris’s journey to Pixar; his work on Brave, Finding Nemo 3D and other films; and his advice for aspiring animation students.
- Thoughts on the hilarious stop-motion shorts, Creature Comforts
- Interview: Pixar’s Chris Horne
- Chris’s background: how he got interested in animation, Pixar, the college years
- What’s the process of getting hired by a big studio like Pixar?
- Chris on being a Pixar fanboy working for Pixar.
- About the lighting, rendering and Lightspeed departments
- What do the lighting and rendering departments actually do?
- Chris talks about crazy and hilarious software glitches, bloopers and malfunctions!
- New animation software: Presto
- Lighting an animated shot: balancing realism vs. cartoony
- What part of Brave he worked on: the hardest scene Pixar’s ever done, cake cauldron scene,
- Hair simulation
- Every character has its own posse of lights
- How big is the team that worked on the 3D conversion of Finding Nemo 3D?
- What is “bit rot”?
- Must see 3D movies: Avatar and Finding Nemo 3D
- Nerdy questions: pizza planet truck, the witch’s inspired by Zelda?, who would win in a fight: King Fergus or Stoick the Vast?
- What is Chris working on now? What’s the deal with Finding Nemo 2?
- Where he wants to go from here/career goals
- How important is a demo reel? Advice for animation students
Runtime: 1:08:01, 32.7 MB
Where to Find Us:
- Find us on the web: Rotoscopers.com, Twitt
er, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, Hypable & Animated Views.
- Mason Smith: This Animated Life Blog, Twitter
- Chelsea Robson: Facebook, Twitter
- Morgan Stradling: Twitter, Instagram
- Visit our sponsors: Netflix, Audible, Am
- Send us a voicemail at rotoscopers.com/