It’s that time once again to celebrate the best of cinema with the Oscars! In preparation for the 90th Academy Awards, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has revealed all the submissions for their Best Animated Feature award.
A total of 26 animated films from all around the world, both mainstream and independent, have made it onto the list in hopes of earning the trophy. Variety reports that Pixar’s Coco and Warner Animation Group’s The Lego Batman Movie are among the top contenders, while GKIDS boasted the most submissions with seven in total.
In alphabetical order, the submitted films are:
- The Big Bad Fox & Other Tales… (French: Le grand méchant renard et autres contes…)
- Birdboy: The Forgotten Children (Spanish: Psiconautas, los niños olvidados)
- The Boss Baby
- The Breadwinner
- Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
- Cars 3
- Cinderella the Cat (Italian: Gatta Cenerentola)
- Despicable Me 3
- The Emoji Movie
- Ethel & Ernest
- The Girl without Hands (French: La Jeune Fille sans mains)
- In This Corner of the World (Japanese: この世界の片隅に)
- The Lego Batman Movie
- The Lego Ninjago Movie
- Loving Vincent
- Mary and the Witch’s Flower (Japanese: メアリと魔女の花)
- Moomins and the Winter Wonderland (Finnish: Muumien joulu)
- My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea
- Napping Princess: The Story of the Unknown Me (Japanese: ひるね姫 〜知らないワタシの物語)
- A Silent Voice (Japanese: 映画 聲の形)
- Smurfs: The Lost Village
- The Star
- Sword Art Online The Movie: Ordinal Scale (Japanese: 劇場版 ソードアート・オンライン -オーディナル・スケール-)
- Window Horses The Poetic Persian Epiphany of Rosie Ming
Open Road’s The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature and Spark: A Space Tail are shown to be absent from the list, as well as Lionsgate’s Rock Dog and My Little Pony: The Movie. Additionally, The Weinstein Company’s Leap! (their release of Ballerina) was also not submitted, considering the toxic situation the studio is in.
In order for these films to qualify and advance in the voting process, they are required to comply with the qualifying rules and theatrical release requirements. We will find out which five films make the final cut when the 90th Academy Awards nominations get announced on January 23, 2018.