Hypable reports you’ll be able to own Monsters University on DVD or Blu-ray this October 29th!
As with Wreck-It-Ralph, the digital release will be a couple of weeks earlier (Oct. 8). However, the Blu-ray will be full of interesting special features! Here’s a list of all the things you’ll see if/when you get it.
- Story School – This documentary examines the challenges of creating a prequel, as well as themes that run through the story, and the change in focus from Sulley to Mike. We’ll also look at how gags are developed – from writing jokes to brainstorming a million ideas.
- Campus Life – What’s it like being on a production crew at Pixar? Get a look at a day in the life of the Monsters University crew through their own eyes.
- Scare Games – At Pixar, they play hard while they work. The same people who keep the film production moving – producers, managers, coordinators and artists – are also the ones who bring spirit and excitement to some of our extracurricular activities. We check out the MU production teams as they go head to head in the mostly playful Pixar Scare Games competitions.
- Welcome to MU – Sets aren’t just buildings, they are the worlds Pixar’s characters live in and explore. This look at the Monsters University campus and its development is told from the perspective of the artists who created each piece of the campus from the architecture to the ivy leaves.
- Music Appreciation – Randy Newman’s scores are a mainstay of Pixar films, and this documentary will give you a privileged look at his creative process. We follow the Monsters University scoring process from spotting to writing and on to the scoring session, including special college-themed recording sessions.
- Color and Light – How can a single painting set the tone for an entire scene? Here we’ll see the creation of the colorscripts and how they were realized technically in the final film. Along with the process, this piece explores the many layers of technical innovation required to produce such a naturalistic feel.
And much, much more! It’s good to see Pixar clearly wants to make this Blu-ray as good as possible and it’s putting plenty of fascinating behind-the-camera looks at the process of animating a classic.
The Blue Umbrella will also be included!
Monsters University will be available on Blu-ray and DVD October 29, 2013. You can pre-order and buy it on Amazon.