With a new Oscar season dawning upon us, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has revealed their list of the animated films submitted for their Animated Feature Film category of the 92nd Academy Awards.
A record number of 32 animated features were submitted for consideration, beating 2017’s record of 26. The list features a variety of internationally diverse films, originating from countries like Belgium, Canada, China, France, Iran, Japan, Latvia, Malaysia, Norway, Poland, Russia, Spain, and the United States.
In alphabetical order, the Oscar submissions for Best Animated Feature are:
- The Addams Family
- The Angry Birds Movie 2
- Another Day of Life (Polish: Jeszcze dzień życia)
- Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles (Spanish: Buñuel en el laberinto de las tortugas)
- Children of the Sea (Japanese: 海獣の子供)
- Dilili in Paris (French: Dilili à Paris)
- Frozen II
- Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’ – Tales of Savagery
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
- I Lost My Body (French: J’ai perdu mon corps)
- The Last Fiction (Persian: آپارات)
- The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
- Marona’s Fantastic Tale (French: L’extraordinaire voyage de Marona)
- Missing Link
- Ne Zha (Chinese: 哪吒之魔童降世)
- Okko’s Inn (Japanese: 若おかみは小学生)
- Promare (Japanese: プロメア)
- Rezo (Russian: Резо)
- The Secret Life of Pets 2
- Spies in Disguise
- The Swallows of Kabul (French: Les hirondelles de Kaboul)
- This Magnificent Cake! (French: Ce magnifique gâteau!)
- The Tower (Norwegian: Tårnet)
- Toy Story 4
- Upin & Ipin: The Lone Gibbon Kris (Malay: Upin & Ipin: Keris Siamang Tunggal)
- Weathering with You (Japanese: 天気の子)
- White Snake (Chinese: 白蛇：缘起)
Despite the record submissions, there were several mainstream animated features of this year that were not submitted for unspecified reasons. These include Entertainment Studios’ Arctic Dogs, Disney’s photorealistic remake of The Lion King, STX’s Playmobil: The Movie and UglyDolls, Aardman’s A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon, and Paramount’s Wonder Park.
In order to qualify for the Oscars, submissions need to fulfil the theatrical release requirements, including a compulsory seven-day qualifying run in Los Angeles. Members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch are automatically eligible to vote in the category, while other voters are must meet the minimum viewing requirement to participate.
In addition to Best Animated Feature, submissions can also quality for other Oscar categories, including Best Picture.
The 92nd Academy Award nominations will be announced on January 13, 2020, while the ceremony itself will take place at the Dolby Theatre, Hollywood on Sunday, February 9, 2020. The show will be televised in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide, with ABC Television Network handling the show’s domestic broadcast.