Disney’s pulling a Beyoncé and dropping a surprise release.
While it may have been inevitable that Bambi would join the ranks of the Walt Disney Signature Collection, and perhaps even predicted that it would be the next volume in the series, it’s breaking the mold and coming much earlier than expected. Walt Disney Signature Collection: Bambi will release on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on May 23, followed by Blu-ray, DVD, and On-Demand on June 6.
Here’s the trailer:
- THE BAMBI EFFECT – “Bambi” was full of innovations for its time. Let’s take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles all the way up to today.
- STUDIO STORIES: “BAMBI” – Recordings of Walt Disney. Listen in on intimate moments where he discusses the challenges, pitfalls and triumphs during the production of “Bambi.”
- DELETED SCENE: BAMBI’S ICE AND SNOW – Bambi coaxes Thumper and his brothers and sisters to come play on the ice during the first snow.
- DELETED SCENE: THE GRASSHOPPER – A grasshopper confronts Bambi and Thumper and finds himself in quite a predicament.
- BAMBI FAWN FACTS – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his forest companions? Well, it’s time to discover some fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
- OSWALD THE LUCKY RABBIT: “AFRICA BEFORE DARK” – Oswald Short.
- CELEBRATING TYRUS WONG (DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE) – A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of “Bambi.” Much like Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle, Tyrus Wong had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in “Bambi” were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.
Extras from previous editions of Bambi that are also onboard include:
- DELETED SCENES – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, Twitterpated
- THE MAKING OF BAMBI: A PRINCE IS BORN
- Story: Telling the Tale
- Characters: Drawn to Nature
- Actors: Giving Voice to Animals
- Art Design: Impressions of the Forest
- Music: Nature’s Symphony
- History: Back to the Beginning
- TRICK OF THE TRADE (excerpt)
- INSIDE THE DISNEY ARCHIVES
- THE OLD MILL ANIMATED SHORT
- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
- THE GOLDEN AGE
The Walt Disney Signature Collection honors the greatest works of Walt Disney Animation Studios with elaborate home video releases, following in the footsteps of the Platinum Edition and Diamond Edition lines before it. Typically these releases come in the January/February and September/October timeframe. Bambi‘s May/June arrival could suggest a quicker succession for future installments.
The Walt Disney Signature Collection initially began in January 2016 with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and has since added Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, and now Bambi to its ranks. Aside from Beauty (perhaps timed to coincide with its live-action remake), we seem to be going in chronological order, but who knows if this is mere coincidence or intentional strategy?
Initially released in 1942, Bambi celebrates its 75th birthday this year, noted with the “Anniversary Edition” banner on its cover art.
Will you buy this new edition of Bambi? Do you own the other volumes in the Signature Collection?
Edited by: MJ Edwards