Everyone has their weak spots when it comes to movies and one of mine is a great soundtrack. It is perhaps for this reason I was won over by the admittedly tired story of Illumination’s recent film Sing. It had likable enough characters and such a great soundtrack that I was willing to forgive its flaws and enjoy the film.
But let’s talk about the Blu-ray and how it stacks up:
Bonus Features ✮✮✮
In my opinion, the bonus features for this film are pretty good and help feature the music well .
- The Making of Sing – A four-minute short about the making of the film with several producers, director Garth Jennings, animators and more. I’m a sucker for this kind of thing so I enjoyed it.
- Finding the Rhythm: Editing Sing – Unique little interview with Gregory Perler about the editing process of animation and Sing in particular. “It’s not about what you cut out but what you chose to put in”. I actually learned quite a bit from him as I knew nothing about editing an animated film.
- Character Profiles – Character introductions from the voice actors with Matthew McConaughey as Buster, Reese Witherspoon as Rosita, Tori Kelly as Meena, Taron Egerton as Johnny, Nick Kroll as Gunter, and Garth Jennings as Miss Crawly.
- “Don’t You Worry Bout a Thing” Music Video – Tori Kelly music video. I love this song and the girl can sing!
- “Faith” Music Video – Stevie Wonder sings “Faith”. Another amazing song! There is also a “Faith” lyric video for karaoke.
- “Set it All Free” Lyric Video – Another great song sung by Scarlett Johansson. I’m telling you the music in this movie is legit! This has the karaoke lyrics on screen.
- Sing Network – Set up like advertisements for various parts of the movie. Gunter’s Dance Studio, The Moon Theater, Rosita’s Babysitting Gizmo, Miss Crawly’s Matchmaking Service, and In the News (which is set up like a Behind the Music show of the characters).
- Best of Gunter – Illumination evidently likes Gunter more than I do because he is heavily featured in these special features (Rosita was my favorite!). This is a montage of Gunter clips.
- Mini Movie 1: Gunter Babysits – Like I said, they love Gunter and here is a short with him babysitting Rosita’s 25 children.
- Mini Movie 2: Love and First Sight – Miss Crawly begins dating an array of characters. This is kind of a sweet short and my favorite of the three.
- Mini Movie 3: Eddie’s Life Coach – Eddie is forced by his Mother to sign up for a self-help guru course. Sort of a weird message on this one.
- Making of the Mini-Movies – It’s kind of funny this is longer than the feature film featurette but I’m a sucker for these, so it was cool. I was particularly interested to learn how the Illumination teams in US and France work together.
Sing is not the greatest movie I’ve ever seen, but I enjoyed it well enough. It had a nice heart to it with an array of characters I liked. Most importantly I loved the music and this Blu-ray does a good job showcasing that music.
If you enjoyed the movie, you will definitely want to pick it up on Blu-ray!
What did you think of Sing? Did you like the soundtrack? How did it measure up for you with other Illumination films?
Edited by: Morgan Stradling