Disney’s Moana is coming to Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, DVD, and On Demand on March 7, with its release on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere occurring a few weeks earlier on February 21.
- Theatrical Short Film: Inner Workings – With introduction by the filmmakers, Inner Workings is the story of the internal struggle between a man’s pragmatic, logical side and his free-spirited, adventurous half. Created by a small team at Walt Disney Animation Studios in a unique, fast-paced style that blends CG and traditional hand-drawn animation, the short explores the importance of finding balance in daily life.
- Maui Mini-Movie: “Gone Fishing” – When Maui decides it’s time to take charge of the ocean and catch his next meal, Moana must show him the error of his ways … with a little help from her friends!
- Voice of the Islands – An in-depth look at how Pacific Island people and cultures inspired the filmmakers to create the story of Moana.
- Things You Didn’t Know About …
- Meet the stars of Moana in this dynamic Q&A featuring Dwayne Johnson, newcomer Auli‘i Cravalho, and famed animation directors Ron and John.
- Meet the musical team behind Moana in this fascinating Q&A featuring Opetaia Foa‘i, Mark Mancina, and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Island Fashion – Find out how costume designer Neysa Bové took on the unique challenge of creating costumes using materials and techniques native to the islands of Oceania.
- They Know the Way: Making the Music of Moana – Musicians Opetaia Foa‘I, MarK Mancina, and Lin-Manuel Miranda take us on a personal journey through their involvement in the movie and how it changed their lives.
- Fishing for Easter Eggs – Dive deep into the ocean and fish for the Easter Eggs hidden by the animators at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- The Elements of … – This series of four mini-docs explores the technical achievements behind some of the ground-breaking effects used in the film.
- Mini Maui – Meet “Mini Maui,” Maui’s tattoo sidekick. Animated by legendary hand-drawn animator Eric Goldberg, we explore how the 2D world collides with CG animation to bring the demigod’s tattoos to life.
- Water – In the movie, the ocean is a character. This piece explores how the water is given a personality, along with the technical feats of creating a believable ocean landscape farther than the eye can see.
- Lava – Te Kā is a creature made of lava, smoke, and fire. This piece dives into the challenges of making an animated creature of massive scale brought to fiery life by character, technical, and effects animators.
- Hair – One of the greatest technical achievements of the film was the animation of the beautiful, curly hair on Moana and Maui. Take a look at the hair-raising detail that goes into animating each strand, adding performance to the movie that has never been seen before.
- Deleted Song: “Warrior Face” – With introduction by songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Deleted Scenes – Ron and John introduce the following deleted scenes: “Race the Wind/Ties that Bind”; “Discussing Moana’s Future”; “Under the Sea”; “Grandmother’s Warning/Legend of Maui”; “Education of Moana”; “Father, Daughter, Boat”; and “Canoe Race.”
- Music Video: “How Far I’ll Go” – Performed by Alessia Cara.
- “How Far I’ll Go Around the World” – Multi-language reel of the song “How Far I’ll Go.”
- Audio Commentary – With directors Ron and John.
- Theatrical Short Film: “Inner Workings,” Music Video: “How Far I’ll Go,” and Audio Commentary
Special Releases & Where to Buy
As usual, there will be some special limited editions released a specific retailers.
- Amazon: Blu-ray | 3D Blu-ray | DVD | Digital
- Target: Blu-ray + Exclusive 32-Page Storybook
- Best Buy: 3D Blu-ray + Collectible Steelbook | Blu-ray + Collectible Steelbook
- Disney Store: Moana Blu-ray with 4 Exclusive Lithographs (+ $10 off your next purchase)
- Disney Movies Anywhere: Digital
- iTunes: Digital
The Walt Disney Animation Studios hit tells the story of an adventurous Polynesian girl named Moana, who dreams of sailing the seas. When the ocean chooses her to save the islands and her people, she ventures on an adventure to find the demigod Maui, who is the only one who can return a lost artifact to its natural home.
Check out a preview of the new short, “Gone Fishing,” below!
Will you be buying Moana when it’s released? If so, which format will you buy?
Edited by: Hannah Wilkes