[Insert your pun of choice here involving the current wintry climate, Elsa’s powers, and franchise synergy.] There’s a whole lot more Frozen coming our way.
Just announced, a Frozen holiday special will grace the airwaves in 2017 on ABC from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, and Josh Gad will all return as Anna, Elsa, and Olaf, respectively (surprisingly no word on Jonathan Groff as Kristoff). In the directors’ chairs are Kevin Deters and Stevie Wermers-Skelton, the pair behind Disney Animation’s Prep & Landing holiday specials from 2009 and 2011. Disney has yet to announce a title or plot synopsis, or if it will include songs.
Also revealed today, the long-known-about Frozen Broadway musical will officially premiere in spring 2018. Its creative team is as follows (via Entertainment Weekly):
- Director: Alex Timbers (Peter and the Starcatcher)
- Choreographer: Peter Darling (Billy Elliot, Matilda)
- Music and Lyrics: Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez (the original film’s composers)
- Book: Jennifer Lee (the original film’s director)
- Scenic/Costume Designer: Bob Crowley (Mary Poppins, Aladdin)
- Sound Designer: Peter Hylenski
- Music Director: Stephen Oremus (Avenue Q, Wicked, The Book of Mormon)
Of course, there’s also Frozen 2 on the distant horizon for an unannounced release date that will be at least late 2018, if not later. The sequel will see Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck returning as directors.
Before any of that, though, Frozen Ever After: Escape to Arendelle will open at Epcot in Walt Disney World in Florida this summer.