WARNING: AS PRINCESS MONONOKE IS RATED PG-13 FOR IMAGES OF VIOLENCE AND GORE, THE FOLLOWING IMAGES MAY BE UNSUITABLE FOR YOUNGSTERS.
When released in 1997, Hayau Miyasaki’s epic Princess Mononoke was the second-longest running Japanese animated film and the most expensive Japanese film of all time. Its success led Studio Ghibli to continue making amazing animated films such as Spirited Away (2001). It’s impossible to cover every magical scene, but here are 15 gifs of our favorite moments from the film:
1. Our first look at the creepy crawly demon boar thingy. Gross.
I think he’s kinda cute though. Look at him go!
2. The iconic scene: A****aka’s first glimpse of San. Precious.
3. Can’t have a Miyasaki film without cute / creepy spirit critters!
4. Let’s face it, Jigo is a jerk but we all fell in love with his shoes:
5. Who can forget when this happened?
6. A****aka’s epic steel-bending powers:
7. When A****aka tells San “YOU WERE MY NEW DREAM LOL”:
8. Moro’s laugh definitely made us uncomfortable:
9. …As did the creepy boar skin disguises. Am I the only one who got a Dumbo vibe from this scene?
10. The one samurai with any brains:
11. The demise of the forest god was both sad and awkward:
12. …But Jigo’s kung-fu skills were brilliant!
13. His brilliance was short-lived, however:
14. The goop really hit the fans towards the end:
15. …And the Kodamas just wanted to have fun: