You guys asked for it and we delivered! In is our very first listener-request episode, The Rotoscopers review, discuss, dissect, analyze, and goof around with Disney’s 1998 film Mulan.
- Feeling gypped by Disney’s Netflix offering.
- Nerdy Couch Discussion: Disney Princess 2013 redesigns
- Mulan with blue eyes?!, Whitewashing the Princesses, Disney redesigns over the years, crazy curls, plastic surgery.
- Main Discussion: Disney’s Mulan.
- Basic info, what are the directors doing now?, “This movie’s awesome!”
- Animation laws of the universe: Thou shalt make a crappy DVD cover.
- Animation style and design is very modern, yet true to Asian aesthetics.
- Act 1: cool intro, big fan of Shan Yu, Mulan = typical Disney oddball, how do you get the matchmaker job?, hair cutting scene music.
- Act 2: Pokémon style guardian battle, what happened to the great stone dragon?, Mushu = facilitator, no villain song, Shang just wants to impress his dad, “I’ll Make A Man Out of You” is Mulan’s transformation song, swimming scene.
- Act 3: Huns battle on the mountain, very “Star Wars”, Chinese-made rope, “apparently there’s a hidden Mickey…”, Animation Law #2: Disney women must not have short rule, “It’s ok to cross dress”, Jafar giving Shan Yu villain tips, letter of the law (Chi-Fu) vs. spirit of the law (Emperor), no love story, strange “party” ending.
- We rate it!
- Bloopers: Rotoscopers pledge, DreamWorks woes, quotes.
Runtime: 1:17:39, 38.9 MB
- Watch Mulan: Blu-ray | DVD | Digital | Rent I iTunes
- Buy Mulan soundtrack: CD | Digital | iTunes
- Mulan quotes | DisneyQuotes.com