Sony Pictures Animation is celebrating 10 years in the business by hosting a 5-week animation festival, which will feature special screenings of its films, culminating in a exclusive screening of its upcoming release Hotel Translyvania.
Sony Pictures Animation is partnering with ASIFA-Hollywood and Animation Magazine to host the screenings at the Ray Harryhausen Theater in Culver City, CA. Each screening will feature Q&A with the filmmakers, rare never-before-seen and bonus material and giveaways.
The festivities will begin on Wednesday, September 5 with a showing of its first release, 2006’s Open Season. Screenings of its other films—Surf’s Up, Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, The Smurfs and Hotel Translyvania—will subsequently be held each week thereafter on Thursday.
For a fan of animation, this will definitley be an delightful event. Being able to watch a screening of the film is great. But then to spend time with the filmmakers delving deep into the film while watching behind-the-scenes footage is even better! If you’re a fan of animation who lives in the LA area, we highly recommend attending.
Now if you’re reading this and are just dying to know how to buy tickets, there’s a catch. Tickets will be available mostly only to members of ASIFA-Hollywood. But you might be able to score some tickets through giveaways at Animation Magazine.
Here’s a breakdown of each night’s lineup from the official press release:
- On September 5, SPA will present Open Season, the first film in the studios’ decade-long history. Amongst the rarities of the evening will be a presentation of the Oscar®-winning short, The Chubbchubbs, along with a panel discussion amongst Michelle Murdocca(producer), Steve Moore (executive producer) and William Haller (character animator).
- The Academy Award®-nominated feature film Surf’s Up will screen on September 13, followed by a panel discussion by Oscar® nominees Ash Brannon (director) and Chris Buck (director), Chris Jenkins (producer) and Rob Bredow (VFX supervisor).
- Breakout directors Christopher Miller and Phil Lord (21 Jump Street) return to their animation roots to present Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs on September 20. The directors will be joined by producer Pam Marsden and VFX Supervisor Rob Bredow for a panel discussion of the film.
- SPA’s international animation hybrid sensation, The Smurfs, will screen on September 27. A panel discussion will feature filmmakers and key artists.
- The Screening Series will close its summer run with a Saturday, September 29 offering of Hotel Transylvania – during its opening weekend in theaters – at a public venue in order to accommodate ASIFA family members. Three-time Emmy Award winner Director Genndy Tartakovsky and Producer Michelle Murdocca will lead the festivities.